Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The Joy of Writing

We've all been there - we've got what we think is a great idea, the writing flows out of us with ease, and we take joy in doing what we love doing, writing.  It's a rare time in a writer's life, for so many times we're searching for that sweet spot, aware of just how fleeting it is.  When you finally reach a place where you're not just having fun, but you're so excited that you plan your entire day around getting in front of your computer to write, you want to grab hold of that feeling and never let it go.

That's where I am right now.

In the past couple of weeks, I've begin writing my new novel.  It's a heretical notion about what life would be like if the Book of Revelation was just propaganda and the Devil wins the Battle of Armageddon.  I thought it would be a neat little idea to play around with, but I had no idea just how easily the prose would come.

Don't get me wrong - I've had fun writing other books, but I haven't had this much fun since my first couple.  While outlining, the images have come into my head so fast that I've had to consciously slow them down.  And while at the computer, I haven't been fretting over which word goes where or encountering obstacles that have make me wonder if this is all worth it - I've just been able to pound out the story.

I know that I sound like a giddy little schoolgirl who has just discovered roller skating or something, but this kind of fun isn't something we writers get to have everyday.  Those of you who've ever labored over a story and beaten your head against the desk in frustration, back me up on this.  Finding yourself totally immersed in the process is like finding the right love - you can't wait to get back to it, and even when you're not writing, you find yourself thinking about it.  There's a kind of innocence to it, and not only is it rare to find, it's rare to realize you've found it.

Sorry for the gushing, but this is a great feeling, and it's driving me into a blissful insanity.  Time to get back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment