Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Perpetual Blog Deadlines

I have a confession to make - I came within a hair's breadth of not posting tonight.  A mild headache and a late day at work made me wonder if I should just let it go.  Not only would it delay bedtime, but it would also be a crappy product.  After all, it's not like anyone pays for this, and the world would keep turning if I missed one night.

As you can tell, I pushed past that, but it got me thinking about the blogging deadlines I impose on myself.  I usually write the week's posts in advance, on Sunday, but I occasionally can only get in one post and have to get to the rest later in the week(like now).  Perhaps it's because it's too late and the girls are keeping me occupied, but whatever the reason, it leads me to a perpetual deadline panic as the week moves along.  I try to tell myself on Sunday that I'll do the rest the next day, but it never seems to work out.

It also got me thinking about my Sunday posts.  Doing them the day before they begin makes timing crucial.  If something comes up, I'm certain to miss one.  I've got to find a way to give myself at least one more day of cushion.

Ideally, I'd do a month or so in advance.  Come this summer, I'm going to have to do that if I want to keep up the three-times-a-week schedule I've been putting in since my transit to another nation, as well as the uncertainty of instant internet connection, makes the posting schedule fuzzy at best.  I've got no choice but to get ahead or the blog might go dark, as it did in April of 2012, and I really don't want that to happen.

I'm hopeful that once I get ahead, I can stay ahead.  Sure, breaking news, like Mike Shatzin giving a full throated defense of the cartel-like behavior of traditional publishers, will merit immediate posts, but most of my stuff is less related to the news.

No matter what the flow of the blog, I've got to find a way out of this deadline panic.

No comments:

Post a Comment