Thursday, September 11, 2014

One Week Delay

I had every intention of following through today and putting up the first chapter of a new online novel.  I even had the first half of the first chapter written and was going to come back to it before bed.  That's when I started thinking.
 
I know, I know...bad idea.
 
The online novel in question was going to be from the Homecoming universe.  It's a place I'm very familiar with.  It would've been no problem to expound upon the many storylines available.  Unfortunately, the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like a nonstarter.
 
The reason for this is that I can't use any of the main storylines from Homecoming since I intend to write a rather involved prequel that will flesh those out.  The storylines that leaves me with are...well...depressing.
 
You see, due to the time involved from the end of the original flight from Earth to the events in Homecoming, thousands of years pass.  That makes any novel set on Earth a tragic tale since it really can't have a happy ending.  Humanity is unable to win unless I alter a novel I've already finished, and as much as I love you guys, I'm not about to do that.  I also didn't want to present a morose tale where there is almost no possibility of a happy ending.  I'm not saying a happy ending is an absolute necessity - many novels I've read end ambiguously, and they can be great - but I'd like the possibility to exist at the beginning.
 
Therefore I'll write something else.  I just don't yet know what that is.
 
Yes, I could've thrown something together tonight, but it would've been bad, and I don't want to throw that out there just for the sake of a post.  I'm going to take a few days to brainstorm so that next week's post is something people might like to read.  Sorry for the disappointment tonight, but I know the delay will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment