Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Torn Between Worlds

A while back, I began writing a new novel tentatively named Onyx.  After struggling through a good portion of it, I decided to change to a new novel.  This novel has no name as of yet, but it was an idea I'd been playing with for a while, and it represented a return to my roots as a lover of science fiction.  This was the prequel to Homecoming, and I knew where it was headed, so it made more sense to get this one out first.


Unfortunately, I've found myself writing neither at this point.  Some of this is the hectic pace of a life that involves a great job and a busy family with two kids.  Some of this, however, is a conflict inside myself that has taken me by surprise, and, quite frankly, frustrated the hell out of me.


I find myself thinking of the other book whenever I try to focus on one.  I'll get into the flight of the main character in the Homecoming prequel, only to find I'm thinking of how much in detail I should go regarding the time machine on Onyx.  I'll be outlining Onyx, and my mind will wander to the tragic outcome of the main character's story in the Homecoming prequel and how it transforms him from the scrawny kid who barely understands the world into a man who saves the entire human race.


Maddening.


I've got to find a way to block out one book from another while writing.  This is the main issue I spoke of a while back when I mentioned intentionally trying to not think of new ideas.  So, how do I do this?


Well, I've got a few plane trips coming up.  I don't know how many of you have been to Hawaii, but even getting to the west coast is a five hour ordeal, and I've got two of these trips within two weeks of each other.  Further, once my daytime business is done, it's not like I'll be out partying(I'm kind of a dork and don't party much), so that'll give me even more time to write at night since there won't be any kids who need attention, and I don't want to die of boredom.  I'll pick one of the books and focus exclusively on it, hoping that will bring me out of my paralysis.  Done right, I should have around 25,000 to 30,000 words once I reach the end of June.


The only question now is which one to choose...

No comments:

Post a Comment