Thursday, July 4, 2013

Making The Blog Rounds

I have several blogs on the right side of my page, and I picked each of them for their quality.  In fact, there are lots of others I could probably put there and have people enjoy just as much.  I like to read what these talented writers post, and I get a kick out of commenting when I can.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to be as prolific as I might like.
(What a selection!)
If I had my way, I'd spend the morning perusing the musings of others and soaking in their collective wisdom.  However, my time has been limited for the last little bit, so my ability to read a lot of them, let alone comment, isn't what I want it to be.

I enjoy Hugh Howey's blog for the sheer joy of tracking his progress and hearing about his latest deals since Howey is something of a hero to the indie community.  I love Kevin Hanrahan's blog for the insight it provides into an overlooked aspect of military work.  Sarah Hoyt's website is a fun back and forth of insight and debate.  Christine Rice gives me a look into the newest stars in the indie movement from the interviews she does.  Karen Woodward helps me get news and commentary from around the writing world, providing her own spin on things as they come.  I'd keep going, but I know I'd forget someone, so I hope no one gets their feelings hurt by my not mentioning them by name - I assure you I think you're talented or you wouldn't be on my blogroll.  It's just that this post is more than a laundry list of websites.

Beyond reading, my commenting has really suffered.  Many of these blogs get into great discussions, and I can't keep up with that.  I'll say something on one, and when I come back the next day, I'll find a dozen responses and a debate that has passed me by.  Anything new I wanted to contribute gets lost in the melee of those who have enough time to keep up.

Making the rounds on blogs is about staying up with the writing world and learning things.  These suffer when I can't read as often as I want, and it's frustrating.  I hope that things calm down in the next several months, because I feel my knowledge receding.  I'll keep doing what I can, but it might take a quantum shift for me to get back into it as much as I used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment