Thursday, May 13, 2021

Other Writing Pursuit Desires

I lamented earlier that my “real job” takes time away from the writing I’d like to do(which, honestly, is an issue for most writers).  Well, I thought I’d elucidate what else I’d like to be doing with my time.  Writing is the most obvious choice, but there are other writing related things I’d like to engage in beyond just writing novels.

There are a bevy of writers’ boards out there, and I’d like to engage on them.  These boards can be fascinating places where quirky folks like me share tips and techniques.  There is some garbage there, as with any online board, but there are also jewels that take time to uncover.  Engaging in a substantive and time-relevant way takes time and effort, something that can be in short supply when normal jobs require time too.

Marketing is another area I’d like to be able to devote time to.  I know there’s a misperception out there that publishing houses will advertise their books, but that’s mostly bullshit unless your name is King, Rowling, or Patterson.  Those authors are proven best-sellers, so publishing houses tend to focus their efforts on what they think has the best chance to make them money.  Now I know that you’re thinking, “But Russ, you’re an indie writer, so why are you talking about traditional publishing houses and their advertisements?”  I use that to point out that if most traditional authors have to do their own marketing, then we indie folks have the same(or a bigger) burden.  And marketing requires time(and money), so that’s an area where I need more focus.

The last thing, but not the only remaining thing, I’d like to mention is going to writers’ conventions/conferences.  This may sound dorky, but going to one of these events has been a dream of mine for a while now.  Watching panels, finding critique groups, and networking is something I think all writers should do, but I have neither the time nor money(although, honestly, I could scrape together the cash if I had the time).  But it’s not just the day or two(some longer) time commitments of the conventions/conferences themselves, there’s also the travel and preparation, which impinges more on time.

Does this all mean I’m not committed?  No.  I stay as involved as possible, but I also value the security that money brings, and I won’t sacrifice that security.  If it was just me, I might be willing to consider it, but having a family makes that sacrifice apply to more than yourself.  The way to solve this is the paradox that I need to sell more so I can have more time to sell more.  Basically, that means I need all of you to get off your asses and buy more of my books.  😊

No comments:

Post a Comment