Thursday, December 17, 2020

Writing Impatience

Every novelist will tell you that writing the actual novel is the fun part.  Unfortunately, that’s the “game time” at the end of preparation.  In my case, preparation means outlining.

Outlining is okay at times, but it can be tedious.  The reason is that I want to write.  I want to actually tell the story.  However, I also know me and realize that if I write without outlining, as I’ve tried in the past, the result will be shit.  So I have to outline to a certain point before I attempt to write.

I also can’t outline the entire story, which can be just as maddening.  I’d like to get outlining out of the way so I can focus on writing, but if I outline too far, the story will eventually not match the outline.  So it becomes a process of stops and starts.  The temptation, of course, is to shortchange the outline, but that’s also folly because that provides the foundation of what I write.

All of this reminds me of football players who say that they love playing on Sunday, but the rest of the week is where the work comes in.  Outlining is that rest of the week.  It’s necessary, but I just wish it would go faster so I could write…which is what I got into this to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment