Sunday, August 18, 2013

TL;DR

Yes, I've done a post like this in the past, but it recently struck home again just how much it still applies...or maybe even more.  It's a phenomenon known as "Too long; didn't read," or TL;DR.

One of my morning rituals is to read the blogroll on the right side of this page.  However, life events have really made me understand the value of efficiency.  I have so much to do nowadays that I have to budget my time wisely.  I know that might come across as a whine, but it's really just an observation of fact - if I'm having trouble with fitting in everything I'd like, then I'll bet I'm not alone.

I love reading interesting and thought provoking stuff, I really do, but I shake my head when I click on a link to something and find a non-stop wall of writing that goes through several scrolls.  You know what I mean - when that little roller bar on the side of the screen goes from long to extremely tiny.  When I see that, I'll often ask if the piece is important enough to me to read.

I know I miss a lot by clicking out of things due to length, and I don't always do it, but it is a consideration.  Between my new job, my writing, this blog, and my new daughter, I can't spend as much time as I'd like.  Sometimes my time is better spent reading five posts of short length instead of one post of enormous length.

There are things I'll miss as a result, and I accept that.  Unlike most folks, I'm not tied to my phone, and, in fact, I only use it to go online when I'm really bored somewhere and have nothing else to catch my interest.  I also only get online once or twice a day, and that's usually for specific purposes, so I can't spend 15 minutes on one article.  Most of the rest of the time, I'm out making something with my older daughter or trying to find ways for my awesome family and I to bond(bike riding, taking a long walk, bowling, etc.).

It can be frustrating because I know I'm missing out on some great information.  The perspective I get from other writers helps me form my own perspective.  If I could sit down all day at the computer and read the latest post from my favorite bloggers, I would, but time is a finite resource, and we can't spend all of it on someone else's work.  I do what I can, but, in the end, decisions must be made as to where to focus, and longer posts, unless they're earth-shattering, are often the first thing on the chopping block.

No comments:

Post a Comment