Sunday, August 12, 2018

Figuring Out Amazon

I had a problem last week when Wrongful Death was released - my ebook and paperback weren't searchable through one page.  To begin with, my paperback was out first, but my ebook was being held up.  For the first time ever, Kindle was demanding me to prove I was the author.  I wrote them back and provided what proof I could, and then I waited.  And waited.  Then I waited some more.  They never wrote me back to tell me all was good.  Instead, they just put it up on KDP Select.

Then the books weren't linked.  What I mean is that usually different versions of the same book are linked, so that you can go to the paperback page and do one click on a Kindle link to get to the ebook.  That wasn't happening.  Therefore, I wrote them again, and again I waited.  After no return email saying I was good, my book simply showed up on my page and both versions are now available on one page.  Maybe I'm just too insecure, but I like getting responses so I know someone at least heard me.  For the company to just assume I'd know everything was good is frustrating.

I'm also trying out KDP Select for a bit too.  That means that Kindle is the only ebook platform I can use for Wrongful Death.  That's right - the novel is not available on Nook or Apple iBooks.  This is so that I can be a part of the KDP Reading Fund, whereby authors dip into a big KDP pot for profits based on how much is being sold and looked at.  I say looked at b/c folks can check out my book for 30 days for free, something that unnerves me a little.  After all, I'm trying to make some money here.  However, I've been assured that this will get me into a higher algorithm and will help my sales in the long run.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment