Sunday, April 22, 2018

Cutting

I finished a short story this afternoon that I intend to enter into The Writer's Digest Annual Writing Competition.  Actually, I finished the story more than a week ago, but I had to trim it, and by trim it, I mean cut it to the bone.  You see, the competition has a word count limit of 4,000 words, and my story came in at 4,952.  That meant I needed to cut roughly 20% of the story in order for it to be eligible for the contest.

This isn't something new.  I'm an old hand at editing.  I just had to put the story away and come back to it with fresh eyes, so I let it sit on my computer, untouched, for a week.  I then went back in and started cutting.

At first, I thought, This is a breeze.  I found lots of extraneous words, so I was slashing lines like I was a killer from a low budget horror flick.  I hacked and slashed, and by the end, I felt pretty good...except that I was still nearly 200 words over the limit.  That was disheartening.

Going back in this morning, I reworded and cut again until I felt like I wasn't just trimming fat, but rather had reached bone.  I've had a shoulder surgery where they shaved some bone, so imagine that pain, but with a story.  The story is 11 pages, so I had to average cutting over 15 words a page.  By the end of the first page, I'd cut...12 words.  That was when I knew that this would be harder than I thought.

All writers despair at cutting their babies.  We're so certain that our words matter, that the story will lose meaning if we cut too much.  Unfortunately, I had no choice here if I wanted to enter this tale.  So I cut.  And I cut.  Then I cut some more.  Finally, on the far end, I was down to 3993 words.  I still wonder if I left in some extraneous stuff I could've gotten rid of so I could keep more descriptive parts of the story, but it's done.  I will send it off this week, and someone else can tell me how I did.

That doesn't make this any easier.  Cutting a story near and dear to you is always hard, and it never gets easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment