Thursday, October 15, 2015

The Muse - Energy

She sauntered around me, whispering into my ear and tousling my hair.  "It's all coming together, isn't it?" she cooed.

I tried keeping my eyes in the screen.  Even focusing on the work at hand, I couldn't control the smile that came to my lips.  Ever since that scare where I was afraid my Muse left me, it was a joy just to see her so revitalized.  Exhausting to be sure, but still a joy.

"Remember that time stream," she gently chided.  "If Forsythe doesn't place enough emphasis on it, the reader will never realize that that's where he's going to fail."

"I remember," I replied.

"Oh, and then look at how you're going to separate The New Order from The Restoration of the Republic."  A short pause.  "Then remember that victors right the history books and some things are only propaganda.  The Devil can use that to his advantage in the Megiddo Valley."

I stopped typing and looked up at her.  "What the hell are you talking about?"

"Just spinning out ideas, honey."

"Yeah, but those ideas are for other books.  I need to stay focused on this one."

"But it's just so much fun to have you back!" she declared.  "I thought for a while that we were done, but you've found me.  Now go find that hellhole in the backcountry where your assassin finds his way to the point where he can kill the dictator before it's too late."

I sighed...heavily.  My Muse hadn't had this much energy since my younger days.  Finishing a 225,000 word novel, and doing the bulk of it in less than two months, put such juice in her system that I wondered if she was even capable of a coherent thought.

"We can and will get to all those," I said.  "For the moment, though, we need to worry about our post-apocalyptic future under the control of the Onyx Cluster.  The rest of that will have to wait."

"But I don't want you to miss anything," she said with a giggle.

"I can't have all these competing ideas," I said.  "You keep doing this and you're going to overload me.  Kind of like overdosing on medication, too much of this stuff will make it so that none of it works."

She walked back over to the bed and sat down, her lower lip sticking out a little.  After a few seconds, she tucked it back in and said, "Fine, be that way.  Go ahead and have Forsythe look at the observatory.  He should find a few answers there."

"But shouldn't the phantoms be there?" I asked.

"No.  They're more interested in crowds as being a threat to the Cluster.  He doesn't yet know his importance, and they'll back off for now."

Convinced I pulled her back on track, I returned to my keyboard and belted out the next couple of hundred words.  It was good to have her healthy again, but chock full of such vitality made dealing with her a challenge...and I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment