Sunday, May 31, 2020

Favorite Covers Of Mine


I was thinking about the covers to my novels, and I wondered which one was the best.  Car; Graves, my cover artist, has done a phenomenal jobs with all four, but each has different qualities, and each evokes a different memory for each book.  That said, I think I have them ranked…at least for now.

#4 – Schism


Schism definitely lets folks know that there has been a great tear in something American.  There’s a red side and a blue side, and the flames let us know something is burning(in this case, the nation).  I love how it takes some thought to get its true meaning.  Yet it’s not as evocative as the others, in my opinion.



Salvation Day is, in my opinion, far and away my best book, and the cover is pretty simple – a man caught between Heaven and Hell, a mysterious device strapped to his body.  It’s the simplicity that belies the complex nature of the book.  I’d like to know how someone would feel picking it up and looking at the cover without knowing the story.



Undoubtedly the most complex cover in my inventory.  It captures most of the spirit of the book with the flaming car crash and obscured figure looming over top of it.  It gave me chills when I looked at it the first time, and I think it conveys the potential terror inside.

#1 – Akeldama


My first cover remains my overall favorite.  I had an idea of a cross with fangs over the legs against a black background that faded into white at the bottom.  Carl took that idea and outdid himself.  The cross with fangs at the bottom, imposed over the windows of a church, captured everything I wanted it to be and more.  This cover alone shows that I should stick to writing and others should do my covers.  I absolutely love this one.

What are your thoughts?  Do you agree, or would you put them in a different order, and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment