Tuesday, September 3, 2019

High Fantasy Or Grounded In Reality

I've been wondering recently about the tales we like to read - should they be grandiose and breathless, or should they be more down to Earth and realistic?  It's no secret that I like a certain level of consistency in my stories.  They can be in the most fantastical world, but they need to have a level of consistency and believability within the universe in which they're set.  So maybe I'm splitting the difference a bit.

Maybe this is why some stories are too much for me.  I'm grounded on Earth and present times, so going to a different world where they've never even heard of Earth is a stretch for me.  Don't get me wrong - there are some great stories by some terrific authors out there, but it's hard for me to get into them.  I'm the kind of guy who likes to picture myself in these stories, so I can't just get into what I can't comprehend.

But what do you think?  What kind of stories are in your wheelhouse?  Should our worlds be so far out there that they're true escapes from this one?  Or should they be just enough to take us from the daily grind without being so out there that our mind can't accept them?  It always fascinates me to find out where everyone else lands on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment