Thursday, February 14, 2019

Backup Plans Versus Exclusivity

In spite of what I've done for a living the past 24 years, I'm actually a pretty risk averse person.  Most notably, I like to know where my next paycheck is coming from.  And for that reason, I cannot write exclusively for a living without hitting some success beforehand.

Being a success as a writer is a bit like playing a perfect game of Pacman - many try, but only a few succeed.  Okay, maybe it's not quite that rare, but the fact of the matter is that more writers starve than thrive in this business.  It takes both talent and luck to make it big, and as some like Stephanie Meyer of Twilight fame have shown, luck can sometimes play a greater part than talent.

I admire those folks who can shove off other, more secure pursuits and write for a living before reaching success; I just can't do it.  I really wish I could slough off all of my other cares and dive full into this career.  However, with other people counting on me for stuff like "food" and "shelter," I find myself unable to devote everything to writing.

This is where choice comes in.  I accept that my inability to go all in on this may mean I won't reach the level of success I'd like.  But, there's a flip side to that too - all of you who do jump in with nothing to back you up, please don't gripe about how things are unfair if you can't string together more than two weeks without resorting to the Ramen Noodle Diet.  Those that are so dedicated that they can live on bike rides and mac-n-cheese, I think that's awesome.  You have a more adventurous nature than I.  But those who do it and want to live it up before making it, I can't muster a great deal of sympathy.

Maybe I'll make it.  Maybe I won't.  I have to live with that.  And I can.  Can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment